There have been so many romantic comedies and so many that use the same story structure and archetypes that it is rare for any characters in romantic comedy to feel like real people. Harry and Sally feel real. We can’t forget the many quotes of the main characters from the movie. Penn Book shares the best When Harry Met Sally quotes with you in this article.
You are reading: Best When Harry Met Sally Quotes To Remember [Reviews 2022]
Table of Contents
- 1 When Harry Met Sally
- 2 When Harry Met Sally Quotes
- 2.1 Meg Ryan Quotes When Harry Met Sally
- 2.2 Billy Crystal ‘When Harry Met Sally’ Quotes
- 2.3 When Harry Met Sally Quotes When You Find The Person
- 2.4 Carrie Fisher Quotes ‘When Harry Met Sally’
- 2.5 The other considerations
When Harry Met Sally
When Harry Met Sally was released in 1989.
Nora Ephron wrote the rom-com Hollywood film When Harry Met Sally. Rob Reiner directed the movie.
Nora Ephron wrote the movie, and Rob Reiner and Andy Scheinman produced it. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are among the stars of When Harry Met Sally. The story centers on Harry Burns’ and Sally Albright’s lives in New York.
The movie’s central theme is Can men and women ever just become friends? This movie is filled with beautiful, funny, and wonderful quotes. We have compiled a list of some of the most amazing quotes by Nora Ephron.
When Harry Met Sally Quotes
1. Nothing. It’s just that all men are sure it never happened to them, and all women at one time or other have done it, so you do the math. – Sally Albright.
2. You look like a normal person, but actually, you are the angel of death. – Sally Albright.
3. When I buy a new book, I read the last page first. That way, in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side. – Harry Burns.
4. That doesn’t mean you’re deep or anything. I mean, yes, basically I’m a happy person… – Sally Albright.
5. I want you to know that I will never want that wagon wheel coffee table. – Marie.
6. No man can be friends with a woman he finds attractive. – Harry Burns.
7. Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash. – Harry Burns & Sally Albright.
8. Everybody, could I have your attention, please? I’d like to propose a toast to Harry and Sally. To Harry and Sally. If Marie or I had found either of them remotely attractive, we would not be here today. – Jess.
Meg Ryan Quotes When Harry Met Sally
The character of Sally Albright was beautifully played by actress Meg Ryan. Here are some of our favorite quotes by Sally Albright.
9. I thought you didn’t believe men and women could be friends. – Sally Albright.
10. Harry, you’re going to have to try and find a way of not expressing every feeling that you have, every moment that you have them. – Sally Albright.
11. Harry, I can’t do this anymore. I am not your consolation prize. Goodbye. – Sally Albright.
12. Yes, it is. You are a human affront to all women, and I am a woman. – Sally Albright.
13. But I’d like the pie heated, and I don’t want the ice cream on top; I want it on the side. And I’d like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it’s real. If it’s out of a can, then nothing. – Sally Albright.
Billy Crystal ‘When Harry Met Sally’ Quotes
Billy Crystal played Harry Burns in ‘When Harry Met Sally.’ Billy Crystal made the character of Harry memorable with his performance. Here are some quotes by Harry Burns.
14. There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance. – Harry Burns.
15. You know how a year to a person is like seven years to a dog? – Harry Burns.
16. Right now, everything is great, everyone is happy, everyone is in love, and that is wonderful. But you gotta know that sooner or later you’re gonna be screaming at each other about who’s gonna get this dish. – Harry Burns.
17. You know, I have a theory that hieroglyphics are just an ancient comic strip about a character named Sphinxy. – Harry Burns.
18. Why can’t we get past this? I mean, are we gonna carry this thing around forever? – Harry Burns.
19. The fact that you’re not answering leads me to believe that (a) You’re not home, (b) You’re home, but you don’t want to talk to me, or (c) You’re home, desperately want to talk to me, but you’re trapped under something heavy. If it’s either (a) or (c), please give me a call. – Harry Burns.
20. Sure. Why don’t you have a dark side? No, you’re probably one of those cheerful people who dot their eyes with little hearts. – Harry Burns.
When Harry Met Sally Quotes When You Find The Person
These quotes from this movie will help you showcase your love for your special someone in a picture-perfect manner. Here are some amazing quotes for you.
21. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, and the thing is, I love you. – Harry Burns.
22. When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. – Harry Burns.
23. I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts.
I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. – Harry Burns.
24. You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you. And I hate you Harry… I really hate you. I hate you. – Sally Albright.
25. It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk. – Harry Burns.
Carrie Fisher Quotes ‘When Harry Met Sally’
The character of Sally Albright’s best friend Marie was played by Carrie Fisher. Here are some quotes inspired by Marie.
26. I’m saying that the right man for you might be out there right now, and if you don’t grab him, someone else will, and you’ll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that someone else is married to your husband. – Marie.
27. Everybody thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor, but they couldn’t possibly all have good taste. – Marie.
28. Restaurants are to people in the ’80s what theatres were to people in the ’60s. I read that in a magazine. – Marie.
29. The point is, he just spent $120 on a new nightgown for his wife. I don’t think he’s ever gonna leave her. – Marie.
30. Someone is staring at you in personal growth. – Marie.
The other considerations
Read also : Unconditional Love Mother Daughter Quotes 
31. I’ll have what she’s having. – Rob Reiner’s mother reacting to Sally’s faked orgasm, Older Woman Customer
32. Baby fish mouth! – The best Pictionary guess ever courtesy of Jess
33. What I’m saying is and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form is that men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. – Harry explaining his entire philosophy to Sally
34. All I’m saying is that somewhere out there is the man you are supposed to marry. And if you don’t get him first, somebody else will, and you’ll have to spend the rest of your life knowing that somebody else is married to your husband. – Marie on the difficulty of being single
35. Harry, you might not believe this, but I never considered not sleeping with you a sacrifice. – Oh snap! Good one, Sally
36. You made a woman meow?! – Jess reacting to Harry’s latest sex story
37. You take someone to the airport, its clearly the beginning of the relationship. That’s why I have never taken anyone to the airport at the beginning of a relationship. Because eventually things move on and you don’t take someone to the airport and I never wanted anyone to say to me, How come you never take me to the airport anymore? – Pro relationship tips from Harry
38. No one has ever quoted me back to me before. – Jess to Marie during the beginning of their courtship
39. All this time I’ve been saying that he didn’t want to get married. But the truth is he didn’t want to marry me. He didn’t love me. – Sally sobbing after she finds out her ex is engaged
40. Six years later you find yourself singing Surrey with a fringe on top in front of Ira! – Harry after running into Helen
41. Had my dream again where I’m making love, and the Olympic judges are watching. I’d nailed the compulsories, so this is it, the finals. I got a 9.8 from the Canadians, a perfect 10 from the Americans, and my mother, disguised as an East German judge, gave me a 5.6. Must have been the dismount. – Harry’s recurring sex dream
42. What they could do to make it easier is combine the two. You know, Mr. Kline died yesterday, leaving behind a wife, two children, and a spacious three bedroom apartment with a wood burning fireplace. – Harry on the difficulty of finding an apartment in NYC
43. Because of God. – Sally of why they don’t make Sunday in the days of the week underpants
44. A Sheldon can do your income taxes, if you need a root canal, Sheldon’s your man… but humpin’ and pumpin’ is not Sheldon’s strong suit. It’s the name. ‘Do it to me Sheldon, you’re an animal Sheldon, ride me big Shel-don.’ Doesn’t work. – Harry not believing Sally had good sex with Sheldon
45. You know, you may be the first attractive woman I’ve not wanted to sleep within my entire life. – Harry to Sally
46. No one thinks he’s ever gonna leave her. – Everybody to Marie when she talks about the married man she’s sleeping
47. – Jess: Marriages don’t break up on account of infidelity. It’s just a symptom that something else is wrong. – Harry Burns: Oh really? Well, that symptom is fucking my wife.
48. Harry: [while watching Casablanca] There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: And Ingrid Bergman is low maintenance?
Harry: An L.M. Definitely.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You’re the worst kind; you’re high maintenance but you think you’re low maintenance.
Sally: I don’t see that.
Harry: You don’t see that? Waiter, I’ll begin with a house salad, but I don’t want the regular dressing. I’ll have the balsamic vinegar and oil but on the side. And then the salmon with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. On the side is a very big thing for you.
Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
Harry: I know; high maintenance.
49. Harry: You realize, of course, that we can never be friends.
Sally: Why not?
Harry: What I’m saying is — and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form — is that men and women can’t be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally: That’s not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry: No you don’t.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: No you don’t.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: You only think you do.
Sally: You say I’m having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry: No, what I’m saying is they all want to have sex with you.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So you’re saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail ’em too.
Sally: What if they don’t want to have sex with you?
Harry: Doesn’t matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally: Well, I guess we’re not going to be friends then.
Harry: Guess not.
Sally: That’s too bad. You were the only person that I knew in New York.
50. You’re talking dream date compared to my horror. I started out fine, she’s a very nice person, and we’re sitting and we’re talking in this Ethiopian restaurant she wanted to go to. I was making jokes, like, Hey, I didn’t know they had food in Ethiopia. That’ll be a quick meal. I’ll order two empty plates and we can leave. — Nora Ephron
51. Harry: I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, and the thing is, I love you.
Harry: I love you.
Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?
Harry: How about, you love me too?
Sally: How about, I’m leaving?
Harry: Doesn’t what I said mean anything to you?
Sally: I’m sorry, Harry. I know it’s New Year’s Eve. I know you’re feeling lonely, but you just can’t show up here, tell me you love me, and expect that to make everything all right. It doesn’t work this way.
Harry: Well, how does it work?
Sally: I don’t know, but not this way.
Harry: How about this way? I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Sally: You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you, and I hate you, Harry. I really hate you. I hate you.
52. Sally: I don’t have to take this crap from you.
Harry: If you’re so over Joe, why aren’t you seeing anyone?
Sally: I see people.
Harry: See people? Have you slept with one person since you broke up with Joe?
Sally: What the hell does that have to do with anything? That will prove I’m over Joe? Because I fuck somebody? Harry, you’re gonna have to move back to New Jersey because you’ve slept with everybody in New York and I don’t see that turning Helen into a faint memory for you. Besides, I will make love to somebody when it is making love. Not the way you do it like you’re out for revenge or something.
Harry: Are you finished now?
Harry: Can I say something?
Harry: I’m sorry. I’m sorry.
53. Harry: Would you like to have dinner? Just friends.
Sally: I thought you didn’t believe men and women could be friends.
Harry: When did I say that?
Sally: On the ride to New York.
Harry: No, no, no, no, I never said that… Yes, that’s right, they can’t be friends…unless both of them are involved with other people. Then they can. This is an amendment to the earlier rule. If the two people are in a relationship, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted. That doesn’t work either. Because what happens then is the person you’re involved with can’t understand why you need to be friends with the person you’re just friends with like it means something is missing from the relationship and wanted to go outside to get it. Then when you say, ‘No, no, no, no, it’s not true, nothing is missing from the relationship,’ the person you’re involved with then accuses you of being secretly attracted to the person you’re just friends with, which you probably are – I mean, come on, who the hell are we kidding, let’s face it – which brings us back to the earlier rule before the amendment, which is men and women can’t be friends. So where does it leave us?
Sally: Goodbye Harry.
54. It started out fine, she’s a very nice person, and we’re sitting and we’re talking at this Ethiopian restaurant that she wanted to go to. And I was making jokes, you know like, “Hey I didn’t know that they had food in Ethiopia? This will be a quick meal. I’ll order two empty plates and we can leave”. Yeah, nothing from her, not even a smile.
55. Harry: It’s very freeing. I can say anything to her.
Jess: Are you saying you can say things to her you can’t say to me?
Harry: Nah, it’s just different. It’s a whole new perspective. I get the woman’s point of view on things. She tells me about the men she goes out with and I can talk to her about the women that I see.
Jess: You tell her about other women.
Harry: Yeah. Like the other night. I made love to this woman, and it was so incredible, I took her to a place that wasn’t human, she actually meowed.
Jess: You made a woman meow?
Harry: Yeah. That’s the point, I can say these things to her. And the great thing is, I don’t have to lie because I’m not always thinking about how to get her into bed. I can just be myself.
Jess: You made a woman meow?
56. Harry: You know, the first time we met, I really didn’t like you that much –
Sally: I didn’t like you.
Harry: Yeah you did. You were just so uptight then. You’re much softer now.
Sally: You know, I hate that kind of remark. It sounds like a compliment, but really it’s an insult.
Harry: OK, you’re still as hard as nails.
Sally: I just didn’t want to sleep with you, and you had to write it off as a character flaw instead of dealing with the possibility that it might have something to do with you.
Harry: What’s the statute of limitations on apologies?
Sally: Ten years.
Harry: Ooh. I can just get it in under the wire.
Sally: Harry, would you like to have dinner with me sometime?
Harry: Great. A woman friend. You know, you may be the first attractive woman I’ve not wanted to sleep with in my entire life.
Sally: That’s great, Harry.
57. – Harry Burns: Some faceless guy rips off all your clothes, and that’s the sex fantasy you’ve been having since you were twelve?
– Sally Albright: Well, sometimes I vary it a little.
– Harry Burns: Which part?
– Sally Albright: What I’m wearing.
Read more: When You Love Someone Quotes
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org
Please do not copy without the permission of the author