[ecis2016.org] In this article, we will explain all about the AO code or Assessing Officer Code and how you can check AO code for PAN card online.
AO code, or Assessing Officer Code, is needed to identify a PAN card holder’s jurisdiction in India. AO code is an amalgamation of area code, AO type, range code, and AO number. PAN card applicants need to provide the AO code in their form. You can find your AO code by asking a tax department officer or looking it up online.
However, to search your AO code need to provide the city based on the office or the residential area. Some cities will need extra data to fetch the correct AO number.
Types of AO codes
There are four types of AO codes. These codes are published on the NSDL websites for clarification. You can find the lists of AO Code on the Protean eGov Technologies Limited portal and the UTIITSL website.
These four categories are:
- International taxation: A person who is not a resident of India but wishes to hold a PAN Card will need this AO code. Mostly taken by MNC companies and NRI residents.
- Non-international taxation (Mumbai): A person who is a resident of Mumbai or a company whose head office is in Mumbai will need this AO code.
- Non-international taxation (outside Mumbai): A person who is a resident of India but not Mumbai or a company whose head office is not in Mumbai will need this AO code.
- Defence Personnel: This AO code belongs to people who have or are serving in the Indian Air Force or Indian Army.
What does the AO code indicate?
Every officer appointed by the tax department has the purpose of completing the task of assessing the taxation of the people. The AO code has an area-specific alphanumeric that makes the job easier. An AO code indicates:
- Area code: It helps in locating geographical areas of an individual and company. Area code consists of 3 letters.
- AO type: This helps the area officer (of the tax department) to identify the PAN card holders as a company, an individual, or someone who is not a resident of India.
- Range type: This identifies your area circle or ward. It also helps in finding your PAN card number.
- AO number: It is a numerical value available on the NSDL website.
Steps to look up your AO number
- Choose your income method – salaried, individual business, or non-individual applicant.
- Select your address – residential address, office address.
- Look for your AO code on the Protean eGov Technologies Limited or UTIITSL websites.
- Look for your city in alphabetic order. You will get the details of your jurisdiction.
- Select the appropriate AO code that matches your office area, profession, income, and company’s type.
How to check AO code for PAN card online?
- Firstly, visit and log in to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Click on ‘profile setting’ and then ‘selection profile’
- Click on ‘PAN card’ to view your PAN information along with Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, Area Number
How is the AO code determined?
An individual’s AO code is determined by their address and income type. This determination is further divided into two types: Individuals and non-individuals. It is further subdivided according to:
- Whether you generate your income from your monthly salary or you earn from the business’s profit along with your monthly salary
- Your AO code will be according to your home address if you are a sole member who earns money through a monthly salary
- Your AO code will be according to your office address if you are a part of HUF (Hindu Undivided Family), Company Partnership, Limited liability partnership, Association of Person, Body’s of Individuals, Trustee, Local Authority, or Government employee.
- If you serve in the Indian Army
|Description||ITO Ward 4(3), GHQ, PNE|
- If you serve in the Indian Air Force
|Description||ITO Ward 4(3), GHQ, PNE|
[ecis2016.org] Know about Kotak IFSC code
Major cities AO codes:
|Mumbai AO code||NSDL Link|
|Delhi AO code||NSDL Link|
|Bangalore AO code||NSDL Link|
|Hyderabad AO code||NSDL Link|
|Chennai AO code||NSDL Link|
How to migrate your PAN card AO code?
When you migrate your AO code, you need to follow these steps:
- Firstly, search the jurisdiction of your area for your AO code
- You can visit the Income Tax Department websites to know the AO code of your jurisdiction. You need to click on ‘Field Offices’ to know the same
- You need to apply to shift your AO code. You can send your request, which needs to be accepted by the source AO officer.
- You can track the present status of jurisdiction by visiting the Income Tax Department website section ‘know your jurisdiction AO’
Can a student receive an AO code?
No, a student cannot receive an AO code.
Can I change my AO code?
If you change your residence, you can change your AO code.
Where can I find my AO code?
You can visit Protean eGov Technologies Limited website or an Income Tax Department Officer to know your AO code.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org