[ecis2016.org] We look at ways to improve the Vastu Shastra of your home, without making major architectural or structural changes
There was a time when people used to invest their time and effort in building their homes from scratch. Since land was in abundance and more freely available, making a home that was Vastu-compliant was not a difficult task. As the buyers’ preferences changed, in favour of apartments and readymade bungalows, finding a home that met Vastu Shastra guidelines became tough. There is a myth that Vastu defects cannot be corrected without structural changes. On the contrary, there are a number of DIY things that you can do, to improve Vastu without making any architectural changes.
Tips to improve Vastu in the bedroom without architectural changes
- Do not keep the television or computers in the bedroom.
- Never sleep with your head pointing towards the south. It is important to know the best direction to sleep as per Vastu.
- Avoid any water body or plant in the bedroom.
- Avoid using separate mattresses on a double bed. Use single double-bed mattress and bed sheets only.
- Arrange the furniture in a way to form a square or a circle or an octagon.
- Do not place the bed under a beam.
- Ensure that the cupboards and beds should be placed close to the south-west wall and at a distance from the north-east wall.
- Keep the cash box in the south and the door of the almirah should open towards the north.
- Place the telephone in the south-east or north-east corner of the room.
[ecis2016.org] Vastu tips for the bedroom
Tips to improve Vastu in the living/dining room without architectural changes
- Keep the television and computers in the south-east corner of the living room. Avoid keeping it in the north-east corner or the south-west corner.
- Light up the corners with bright lights.
- Hang a picture of a bright sunrise on the southern wall in the living room.
- Place a bright light near the main door.
- Keep an aquarium in the north-east corner of the living room. It should have nine goldfishes and one black fish, as this is considered very lucky for the household.
- You can also place a happy family portrait in the living room.
- Your dining room should not be visible from the front door.
- Avoid paintings with depressing scenes, such as war, crying women, etc. Place happy pictures at home, such as those depicting sunrise, oceans, flowers or laughing children.
- Do not hoard stale food, torn clothes or waste material in the house, as it prevents positive energy from entering the house.
- If you have marble flooring, avoid placing leather items on it as it is considered to be a holy stone. Marble flooring should be avoided in the bedrooms, bathrooms and toilets. You can use marble in the puja room which should be well lit and airy.
[ecis2016.org] Vastu tips for living and dining rooms
Tips to improve Vastu in the kitchen without architectural changes
- Do not put a mirror in the kitchen.
- The gas stove should be in the south-east corner of the kitchen and the person should face the east while cooking.
- Place the drinking water in the north-east of the kitchen.
- If you place brooms and mops in the kitchen, ensure that it is not visible.
[ecis2016.org] Important kitchen Vastu Shastra tips
Tips to improve Vastu in the bathroom/toilet without architectural changes
- Always keep the bathroom and toilet doors closed.
- Place the toilet seat on the south or west wall.
- All windows should open outwards and not inwards.
[ecis2016.org] Vastu tips for bathrooms and toilets
Tips to improve Vastu in the puja room without architectural changes
- Light incense sticks in the puja room daily, to keep negative energy and foul smell at bay.
- Your face should be towards the north-east, when you sit to pray.
- If there is a toilet near the puja room, do not use it and it should be kept clean always.
[ecis2016.org] Vastu Shastra tips for a temple at home
Tips to improve Vastu in the garden without architectural changes
- Do not keep prickly plants such as cactus in the house.
- No tall trees, such as banyan or peepal, should overshadow the house. These are not recommended close to the main building.
- Plant trees in the south or west direction and not in the north and the east direction.
- Plant decorative plants in the north and east direction but ensure that its height does not exceed half-a-metre.
- Plants exuding white sap should be avoided at home.
- Keep a tulsi plant in the north-east corner of the premises but ensure that its height is not more than 1.5 metres.
- Do not plant creepers or climbers with support on the compound wall or a house wall.
[ecis2016.org] Bhumi pujan muhurat 2022: Vastu Shastra good day to start house construction
General Vastu tips for the home
- Make sure your house has good ventilation and has enough water resources.
- Students should face east while studying, for better concentration and focus.
- The hinges of doors should not be noisy. They should be oiled often.
Also read about North facing house Vastu significance
How do you correct Vastu defects?
You can correct Vastu defects by following the above-mentioned Vastu remedies.
What should be kept in the north-east corner of a house?
Remove all obstructions and gaps in this corner as this is the corner of the god of wealth.
Where is the wealth corner of a house?
According to Vastu, the north-east is the wealth corner while as per Feng Shui, the south-east is considered as the wealth corner.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org