[ecis2016.org] In this article, we talk about the process of renewing your passport and its many different facets.
In India, the validity of a passport is only good for 10 years. It has to be renewed after this period. In this article, we talk about the process of renewing your passport and its many different facets.
Validity of Indian Passports
The Indian passport has a validity period of 10 years, starting from the day it was issued. The bearer of an Indian passport has the option of selecting between 36 or 60 pages for inclusion in their document. In general, a citizen of India has the option of applying for one of three different types of passports. They are as follows:
- Regular passport
- Diplomatic travel document
- Official passport
To continue reaping the advantages of holding a passport, the bearer of that passport must verify that the document is current and has not yet reached its expiration date.
If a passport is about to expire, the person who currently has it may renew it using the Passport Seva Portal. The platform makes it easier for residents of India to carry out all procedures related to the application and renewal of their passports online.
Passport renewal process: Documents required
Passport renewal requires the following documents:
- Original and outdated passport
- Self-attested copies of the first 2 pages and final 2 pages of the passport,
- Copy of the page on which the Passport Issuing Authority made any notations, attested by the applicant.
- Copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page certified by the applicant.
- Documents proof excluding the cause, if any, of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, of the Short Validity Passport (SVP).
Steps to register online for passport renewal process
To begin the process of applying for a new passport or renewing an existing one online, the applicant must first create an account on the website that is officially associated with Passport Seva. A person can establish a passport account by completing the procedures that are outlined in the following section
Completing the application for renewal of a passport
You will need to complete the online form once you have created an account for yourself.
- Visit the official Passport Seva portal.
- Select Existing User Login.
- Fill out the application after clicking the link that says “Apply for a Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport.”
- After all of the required information has been entered into the form, you may save a copy of the form by clicking the “Validate” button.
- You will need to click the “Submit” button after uploading the completed form. Before sending in the form, it is important to double-check all of the information that you have submitted to ensure there are no mistakes.
- Make your reservation at a time that is convenient for you.
- You may complete the transaction either online or in person.
- Finally, select the “Print Application Receipt” option.
Steps to book a passport renewal online appointment
The following is a rundown of the procedures you need to follow to make an appointment to renew your passport:
- Log in to Passport Seva to access your account.
- In the box that says “View Saved and Submitted Application,” choose the option that says “Pay and Schedule Appointment.”
- After you have scheduled the appointment, you will need to pay the appropriate amount of money. Credit cards, debit cards, SBI challans, and net banking are the many methods of payment that may be used.
- Select the “Print Application Receipt” option. This receipt includes the application reference number, which can also be used as the appointment number.
- Please check out the Passport Seva portal for further information.
Steps to track status of your passport renewal process
It is easy to keep tabs on the progress of your renewed passport by following these procedures. You are required to go to the website for Passport Seva and give details about yourself, including your file number, date of birth, and kind of application. After you have finished, you should choose the “Track Status” option from the drop-down menu. When you go to the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office for your appointment, be sure to bring the ARN along with all of the original paperwork.
Renewal of short validity vassport (SVP)
The procedure for renewing a passport via SVP is a rather straightforward one. To renew a passport with a short validity period, the person just has to present themselves at a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) and submit an application to do so. Short Validity Passports, often known as SVPs, are given out under certain circumstances, including the following examples:
- Students taking standardized tests such as the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and other similar examinations.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) that are interested in visiting India for shorter amounts of time
- Passport not delivered owing to its disappearance while en route
- Applicants who currently have criminal charges pending
Difference between Passport Renewal and Reissue
While a passport is renewed after its expiration date has passed, a passport is reissued under the following circumstances:
- The passport has expired or is soon to expire
- Lost passport
- Stolen Passport
- Exhaustion of the available pages
- Passports that are either damaged or stained
- Modifications to one’s personal information
If a person’s passport has to be renewed, the individual will get their current passport as their renewed passport. On the other hand, when an individual applies for a reissue of a passport, the individual will receive a whole new passport.
How long will my passport be valid when I renew it?
The passport’s validity would be determined by the Assistant Passport Officer/RPO. The maximum duration of validity is 10 years.
When I want to renew my passport, do I need to bring it to a passport agent?
Because it is a transparent procedure, renewing your passport is not something that requires the assistance of a passport agency. However, if you need assistance, you are permitted to seek help from a third-party agency.
Do I need to provide the originals of my documents again?
You do not need to carry the original documents. You need to bring the original documents to the passport office on the day of your appointment for verification; however, you are only required to provide copies of the relevant documents that have been self-attested.
One of the entries in my application is incorrect. What should I do to fix it?
After the application form has been sent in, you will not be able to make any changes or edits to it online. You will need to go to the Passport Seva Kendra to remedy the error, and then you will need to ask the citizen service executive to make the appropriate adjustments.
When can I renew my current passport before its expiration?
You can submit a renewal application for your passport up to a year before its expiration date.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org