[ecis2016.org] We examine that Vastu Shastra rules that must be followed, while setting up a home garden or when keeping plans at home
By following the rules of Vastu Shastra, an ancient Indian doctrine of architecture that combines the benefits of the five elements, it is believed that one can bring harmony, peace, prosperity and health in life. This is why it is recommended that home owners follow principles of Vastu for plants, while setting up a home garden or when keeping plans at home.
You are reading: Vastu Shastra for keeping plants at home and in your garden
Recommended Vastu plants for home
The following plants are lucky for your home:
Dracaena: The lucky bamboo is a good plant to attract peace, positive energy, luck and prosperity.
Tulsi (holy basil): The holy basil plant is an air purifier and helps to spread positive energy. It should be kept in the north, the north-east or the east direction. Do not keep this plant or plant it in the south most direction of the house.
Also read: Where to keep Tulsi plant at home according to Vastu
Money plant: The green glossy leaves attract wealth and fortune. According to Vastu for plants, place this plant in the south-east direction of your living room for the best money plant benefits.
Aloe Vera: This evergreen medicinal plant purifies the air. It is a succulent, hardy plant and survives with very little water. Keeping the aloe vera in the east or the north direction, as per Vastu for plants, ensures well-being of family members.
Mother in law’s tongue: Also known as snake plant because of its resemblance to a snake’s skin, this plant does not require too much care. It purifies the air by removing harmful toxins. According to snake plant Vastu, it brings positive energy when grown in east, south, or south-east direction.
Peace lily: The name itself represents love, peace and harmony. This plant is ideal for your bedroom.
Jade plant: This plant is popularly known as the dollar plant as it represents wealth. Jade plant Vastu states that the ideal place it should be placed is the home’s south-easterly direction, for increasing cash flow and financial income.
As per Vastu for plants, to attract financial energies and good luck, keep healthy green plants in the wealth areas. You can add syngoniums and anthuriums too, besides the above plants.
Plants to avoid at home according to Vastu
Bonsai: Bonsai are considered artistic but according to Vastu for plants, they are inauspicious and bring bad luck.
Dead or decaying plants: If any plant is dead or decaying, remove the plant from your home. Dead plants are a sign of ill health and negative energy.
Cacti or other thorny plants: Plants with thorns are a strict no-no in Vastu Shastra. Keeping these plants can lead to disputes among the family members.
Cotton: Cotton plants are considered inauspicious according to Vastu Shastra for plants.
Climbers/creepers: They grow on the building or compound wall and their clingers will slowly creep into tiny cracks in the walls. The cracks can widen, causing damage and seepage of water through the walls. The damaged wall attracts negative energies.
- Fish aquariums: Benefits of keeping fish aquariums to bring positivity to your home, as per Vastu Shastra
- A complete guide to staircase Vastu for east-facing houses
- Can you improve the Vastu Shastra of a house without making structural changes?
- Vastu number for house: All about good house numbers for luck as per numerology
- All that you need to know about Vastu Compass
Creepers can be grown in a garden, with their own independent support. Money plant is a creeper but it should be grown inside the house. Money plant Vastu states that one should avoid growing it outside, using a tree for support.
Also read how to design an indoor garden
Vastu for plants and trees in your garden
Read also : Vastu Shastra tips for choosing a new apartment
If you have a garden, the entrance should not be blocked by a tree. You can have a tree on one side of the entrance. A peepal, mango, neem or banana tree is preferred.
By planting a tree or placing a plant in a particular direction, its positive impact can be strengthened. Here are some lucky plants / trees for the garden, according to Vastu Shastra.
Banana: This tree is a symbol of prosperity and wealth. The leaves are used for various religious functions and for festivals, too. The placement of the banana tree should be in the north-east direction of the garden, for good health and mental peace.
Neem: Neem has plenty of medicinal qualities. The neem tree should be planted in the north-west corner. When air flowing through the neem leaves enters your home, it brings good health as it has a lot of healing properties. A neem plant generates positivity and happiness.
Mango: Mango leaves are used in many religious functions.
Jackfruit: The leaves of a jackfruit tree are considered auspicious and are used for puja.
Coconut: All parts of a coconut tree are useful and it is, thus, considered a sacred tree.
Also read all about which plants are good for home
Placement of trees according to Vastu Shastra
- Avoid planting trees in the north-east corner. Smaller shrubs may be planted on east or north sides.
- The morning rays of the sun should not be blocked. Large trees will block most of the sunlight and the house will not receive light and positivity.
- Coconut trees can be planted in the south-west. Trees should be planted in such a manner that its shadow should not fall on the house between 9 AM to 3 PM.
- Avoid large trees like peepal and banyan very close to your house, as their roots can damage the foundation and compound wall.
- Plants that give out sap (a milky sticky substance) should be strictly avoided, as per Vastu for plants.
[ecis2016.org] Tips to set up your own backyard garden
Vastu for plants in the kitchen
For your kitchen garden, the recommended plants you can grow include tulsi, mint or any other herbs.
Vastu for plants: Dos and don’ts
- Potted plants are great to spread positive energy.
- Plant trees in pairs of 2, 4 or 6.
- Pick out dried leaves from the plants daily.
- Do not keep broken pots or chipped pots, as these attract negative energies.
- Do not keep hanging plants on windows as they block positive energy from entering the home.
- Moving water is a great way to attract positive energy. It also encourages prosperity. Place a water element, like a fountain or a small pond with fish, in the north-east zone of your garden.
- If it is difficult to remove a thorny plant or tree, you can nullify the negative effect by placing a tulsi plant by its side.
Which trees/plants emit oxygen 24 hours?
The peepal tree, the neem tree, the snake plant and aloe vera do so.
Can we keep a flowering plant at the entrance?
At the entrance, a glass bowl with flower petals attracts wealth and prosperity. Water is a bad conductor fAt the entrance, a glass bowl with flower petals attracts wealth and prosperity. Water is a bad conductor for negative energy and this helps in keeping your home and family members in good health.or negative energy and this helps in keeping your home and family members in good health.
Can I keep a money plant in my kitchen?
Yes, you can keep a money plant in the kitchen but make sure it is a few feet away from the gas burner.
What about artificial flowers and plants? Are they recommended?
According to Vastu for plants, any kind of artificial flowers at home are not recommended.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org