[ecis2016.org] This Ganesh Chaturthi, you can enliven your home easily and inexpensively, with delicate floral accents, to add to the festive atmosphere. Here’s how
Fresh flowers are associated with divinity. Hence, they are used in worship, as garlands for deities and even to enhance the beauty of one’s home. Floral arrangements can transform the décor of a house, by adding freshness and a cheerful ambiance. Flowers can be used as the focal point, or even as accessories, of the Ganapati decorations, as they bring freshness with their fragrance and create an atmosphere of celebration.
You are reading: Fresh floral decorations for Ganesh Chaturthi
“In Hindu tradition, flowers have always been used as offerings for deities – Goddesses Lakshmi is offered red roses or pink lotus, Lord Ganesha is offered red hibiscus and so on,” points out Srishti Kapur, floral designer and owner of Floral Art, Mumbai. Nowadays, clients are demanding new designs and different floral themes, adds Kapur. Consequently, various themes have emerged, to decorate the backdrop of the puja room and the entrance of homes. Floral arrangements for tables and corners of rooms are also available, according to specific themes, she explains. “A lot of props such as bells, bangles, beads, vintage frames, Swarovski, etc., are used, along with flowers and leaves,” states Kapur.
[ecis2016.org] Eco-friendly Ganpati decorations for your home
The vibrant and fragrant bloom of roses, mogras, lilies, marigold, orchids, hydrangea and daisies, can make the home more welcoming and colourful. Different flowers, styles, patterns and colours can be mixed, to create a vibrant décor.
“Fresh flowers not only provide aesthetic appeal but also bring an overall feeling of positivity to the home,” maintains Prachi Agarwal, co-founder of Fresh Knots, Bengaluru. Agarwal advises home owners to plan the arrangements according to a theme.
“A theme can be as simple as matching the colour of the fresh flowers to the attire of the Ganesha idol and using a touch of that colour in all the artefacts used in the puja room. You could also try something more specific, like a peacock feather theme. For this, add some peacock feathers to a white and blue floral arrangement. You can add it to the idol’s decoration or put it in a bunch in a corner of the room,” suggests Agarwal.
[ecis2016.org] Which Ganesha idol is good for home entrance
Choose flowers, according to the space where they will be placed. If it is a highly visible area, then, opt for a huge flower arrangement of lilies, carnations and orchids. “The main door is something that is visible first, when a guest visits the house. So, decorate the main door with an intricate floral toran and flower strings on the sides of the door. However, ensure that it does not obstruct movement. If space permits, add a rangoli made from fresh flowers,” adds Agarwal.
If you are using only a few flowers, opt for a vase with a narrow opening. If the vase is to be kept on the floor, it has to be a tall vase, so that the flowers are visible clearly at a height. If the floral arrangement is to be kept, where it is easily visible, like a coffee table, then, a short and square or circular vase is appropriate. Attractive vases magnify the beauty of floral arrangements. So, you can experiment with exquisite vases.
Tips to add flowers to your home’s décor
- Restrict the floral arrangement to two colours of flowers, in addition to the green leaves. Fewer colours make the arrangement look fuller.
- For an attractive arrangement, you can arrange different flowers in the same colour palette.
- Use more flowers in arrangements that will be visible from all sides.
- If you use a flat container, you can add pebbles, shells and floating candles, along with the flowers.
- You can also make a flower arrangement in a flower sponge, which is available in florist shops. Pour a cup of water every day in the sponge, to keep the arrangement fresh.
- Flowers will last longer, if they get ample fresh water. The stems should be inserted about two inches into the water and this water should be changed every day. Also, cutting an inch of the stem from the base every day, helps the flower absorb more water.
- Spray the flowers with water, to keep them fresh.
- Going overboard is never a wise thing. Use only the right amount of floral accessories that would enhance the beauty of the house, without hampering the movement of your family and the guests. This is where apt placement comes into picture. Hangings that lie low could be problematic in this situation.
- Wilted flowers and petals should immediately be removed and fresh stock must be used, in case we want the house to retain its festive look
- If you are doing it yourself, engage your family members, including the children, to multiply the joy of the Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations.
How can I use flowers to decorate the house?
You can place flowers in vases, or hang flower garlands (torans), or make a simple rangoli with flowers or float some flowers or petals in a bowl of water, to decorate your house.
How to arrange flowers in a vase?
When placing flowers in a vase, insert only two inches into the water and cut an inch of the stem from the base every day. Change the water in the vase every day and spray water on the flowers, to keep it fresh.
Which flowers are ideal for Ganesh Chaturthi?
For Ganesh Chaturthi, you can use flowers such as red hibiscus, lotus and marigold, or even other flowers like roses, mogras, lilies, orchids, hydrangea and daisies.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org