[ecis2016.org] Insects can be a nuisance in our homes. Here is a comprehensive guide on using natural techniques to keep insects and pests away.
Sometimes, when we see insects in our homes in small numbers, we tend to pay no heed to that. But there is always a high probability it could turn into a massive infestation within a short period, which could be very difficult to deal with. Insects can be dangerous. Some of them have excruciating stings, while some destroy property. And the worst thing is that most of them can make your living space extremely unhygienic. So, how to keep insects away from the house? We discuss some easy and natural ways to keep insects and pests away.
DIY techniques vs. professional insect extermination – which one to opt for?
If you see or spot any signs of insect infestation, you should take action immediately to safeguard your family’s health and protect your property.
- If insects have infiltrated your house for food, water, warmth, and shelter, and the situation is not out of hand – you can opt for tried-and-tested DIY techniques.
- On the other hand, if the insect infestation has reached a level beyond your control, you should immediately contact professional insect exterminators. They use state-of-the-art gadgets and techniques to eliminate the problems and prevent those annoying critters from entering your premises again.
What are the common insects considered pests in India?
There are millions of species of insects – some way harmful to your health and property than others. Cockroaches, termites, mosquitoes, ants, bees, wasps, and houseflies are generally regarded as the most common and invasive insects in India.
You will often find people asking how to keep insects away from the house. Business owners, factory owners, etc., are also Googling answers for the same question – how to keep insects away from home naturally? Pests are generally insects or animals that destroy crops, food, or livestock and destroy property.
There are several reasons why people exterminate them from their homes.
They contaminate food
Insects are known to have hazardous effects on our health, and they do so by carrying germs and contaminating our food. They frequent filthy places like garbage dumps, sewers, etc., from where they pick up harmful disease-causing germs. One could often spot ants and houseflies near food sources, especially if left unchecked for a while.
Destruction of property
Certain insects like carpenter ants and termites can damage our property and belongings. Carpenter ants destroy wood from the inside by building their homes and destroying wooden furniture. Termites are often found in our walls and beds, as they tend to create long burrows and destroy wooden structures from the inside out. They like to feed on wood, and their vast colonies can devour a pound of wood a day! This is one of the primary causes that make people look for ways to keep these insects away from the house.
Visually unattractive and create a nuisance
Insects are visually unappealing and create a lot of nuisance in our homes. Nobody likes to see a swarm of insects in their comfortable living space – like cockroaches scurrying across the kitchen or an ant-line inside your drawing-room. It can be time-consuming to get rid of them.
[ecis2016.org] How to get rid of lizards?
Spreading diseases to children, elderlies, and pets
One of the worst things about insect infestation is spreading diseases to people. Insects can act as ectoparasites for harmful disease-carrying germs. Mosquitoes cause diseases like Malaria and Dengue. Ants, too, carry germs. The risk is higher for children and older adults, so you need to take immediate action against these insects as soon as you notice them.
How to keep insects away from home naturally?
There are many DIY methods that one can employ to kill different types of insects, but if you want a permanent and absolute solution, you should go for professional help. There can be other solutions to the question, ‘how to keep insects away from the house’, so you need to be creative when dealing with an insect infestation in your home.
How to get rid of ants?
Carpenter ants can cause massive damage to our furniture, and red ants are known for their painful stings. If you’re wondering how to keep these insects away from the house, here are some points to consider:
- Firstly, make sure that your house is clean. Ants are drawn towards food sources, warmth, and moisture. So if you can keep your home clean at all times, especially your kitchen, pantry, dining rooms, etc., you can keep ants off your home.
- You can also use diatomaceous earth, borax, and chalk to get rid of ants in your home. It works best to find their entry point and use these chemicals to seal them permanently.
- If you are looking for budget-friendly and safer options, you can go for some common elements found in most homes. Salt and black pepper have proven to be effective against ant infestation. You can create a salt and water mixture and spray it to the nooks and corners of your home, which could be their probable entry points. Sprinkling black pepper on their entry points can also do the trick.
- If you are worried about how to keep insects away from home naturally, then you can employ peppermint oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, and tea tree oil for the job. They have a natural aroma that repels several insects, including mosquitoes. So, spraying them in the suspected entry points can turn out to be very helpful.
How to exterminate house flies?
House flies might seem harmless, but one cannot simply ignore how they contaminate our food and create a nuisance.
- Mosaic flooring vs Terrazzo: All you need to know
- Bengaluru’s Vidhana Soudha could be worth over Rs 3,900 crores
- Interesting ideas for orange two colour combination for bedroom walls
- Inspiring Indian house interior design ideas: Home decor ideas for modern homes in India
- Why use PVC kitchen cabinets for modular kitchens?
Few tried-and-tested ways to deal with house fly infestation are:
- One of the best DIY hacks is to get some orange peels, wrap them in a thin cloth and hang them over your kitchen counter to get rid of houseflies. The scent from the orange peel is what drives them away.
- You can also make a trap using dish soap and vinegar. Mix some apple cider vinegar with some sugar and add some fruit-scented dish soap to that mixture. Place it in an area that often attracts flies and watch them get caught in your set trap.
- The smell of specific essential oils like Peppermint, eucalyptus, lemongrass, and lavender can help drive house flies out from your home. You can mix a few drops of these oils and spray them in the nooks and corners of your home, as well as your dining area, to keep those spots free from house flies.
How to exterminate cockroaches?
Cockroaches multiply rapidly, resulting in an uncontrolled infestation. If you wonder how to keep these insects away from home naturally, here are some ways to try.
- The very first thing to do here would be to keep your home, and especially your kitchen, clean. Cockroaches are drawn towards dark and dingy places, particularly food sources. Keeping these places clean and taking out your garbage regularly can keep cockroaches at bay.
- Being worried about how to keep insects away from home naturally is very common, but one of the best methods is to use everyday items like baking soda and sugar to create an effective trap for them. It works like a miracle against cockroaches too. Mix some baking soda and sugar and keep it in a dish in places frequented by cockroaches.
- You can also use neem oil and peppermint oil to get rid of roaches from your home. Mixing a few drops of neem oil or peppermint oil in some water and spraying them at their breeding grounds can keep them permanently away from those spots.
How to eliminate termites?
Termites can cause a lot of damage to wooden structures and furniture in your home, so it is imperative to take some practical steps to eradicate them. Check these simple but effective DIY ways to keep these insects away from home naturally.
- One of the easiest ways to keep termites away from the house is using Cayenne pepper. The Capsaicin present in the pepper can cause some severe damage to the nervous system of termites, helping you to eliminate them. Just spray some Cayenne pepper on infested areas, but only choose to do so if the infestation is minor. If it gets out of your hand, do not hesitate to take professional help.
- You can also create a concoction with white vinegar and two lemons and place it in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the infested areas to get rid of termites permanently.
- If you plan on solving the problems regarding how to keep insects away from the house, especially using natural items, then you can try neem oil as a remedy. Neem oil has eternally proven to be an effective and safe element that can get rid of termites. You can make a mixture of Neem oil and water and use it to remove termites altogether.
How to get rid of Bees, Wasps, and Hornets?
The sting of bees, wasps, and hornets can be excruciating and can trigger allergic reactions in many people. Here are some answers to how to keep these insects away from home naturally:
- The safest thing to do when you notice a hive of bees or a nest of wasps in your home is to call a professional insect exterminator. These insects are really dangerous insects, and it is best to leave it to the experts to deal with them.
- If you have spotted a nest of bees or wasps nearby and are worried about how to keep these insects away from home naturally, you can use essential oils to keep them away. Use essential oils like peppermint oil and lemongrass oil and spray them over the areas most likely to be infested by these insects to keep them totally at bay.
- You can also attempt to drive bees away with smoke and create wasp traps with old plastic bottles if you deem it necessary. But again, these can be tricky situations so remember to exercise utmost caution.
Why is a professional pest control service better than DIY methods to eliminate insects?
Here are some reasons why you should consider professional pest control service over DIY methods to exterminate insects from your home.
They know what they are doing
Professionals have practised exterminating insects for a while and are trained at their jobs with years of experience. They can help get rid of insects thoroughly from your home and ensure that they do not come back. Therefore, the best option is to seek professional help.
It is the safest option
It is undoubtedly the safest option to go for professional pest control services in case of insect infestations. If you are thinking about how to keep insects away from home naturally, then you should go for pest control services that execute insect elimination while maintaining the utmost safety precautions. They also employ eco-friendly, non-toxic exterminating agents that safeguard the family’s health.
It can save you time and money
Professional pest control services can help save a lot of time and money spent on getting the exterminating agents from the market for these DIY hacks. Professionals employ eco-friendly and non-toxic solutions to eliminate insect infestation in your house. Furthermore, they install pest deterrents to prevent further pest infestation. Some good pest control companies even survey your properties once in a while to take note of the pest issue. DIY tricks and hacks can work in some cases, but they aren’t practical for all kinds of pest infestation. If you are worried about how to keep insects away from home naturally, make sure to seek professional help in the matter.
How to keep insects away from the house?
You can employ several hacks to keep insects away from your home, but one of the most essential things to remember here is to keep your house thoroughly clean. Insects are primarily drawn towards dirty and dingy places.
Are DIY hacks effective?
Yes, most DIY hacks effectively get rid of insects from our homes, even though they might not always be the best solution if the magnitude of the infestation is considerable.
How long should you wait in case of insect infestation to call pest control services?
You shouldn’t waste any time calling pest control services in case of insect infestations. It can cause more damage if you don’t take immediate action.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org