[ecis2016.org] In this article, we would discuss every nitty-gritty of cultivating rose plants in your home garden.
‘But he who dares not grasp the thorn, should never crave the rose’, goes the famous saying. Apart from its deep-rooted philosophical interpretations, its literal connotation also acts as a caution for those who desire roses. Nevertheless, gone are those days when garden roses were difficult to grow. With the availability of new disease-resistance plants, cultivating roses in your garden may not be as difficult as it was earlier. In this article, we would discuss every little detail about cultivating garden roses in your home.
You are reading: Garden roses: All you wanted to know about growing rose plants
Rose plants: Types and varieties
The centuries-old rose, which goes by the botanical name Rosa genus, has over 300 species of woody flowering perennials, with thousands of varieties being cultivated.
[ecis2016.org] Tips for designing a house garden
What are garden roses?
Hybrid roses that grow in private or public gardens have been given the nomenclature of garden roses. Garden roses are the most popular plants cultivated in any garden, especially in countries with temperate climate.
Modern garden roses are multi-generational hybrid cultivars, with little resemblance to their actual ancestors. While roses continue to enjoy the status of exclusivity, garden roses have come within the reach of a common man.
Garden roses: Main categories
Some of the most popular categories of garden roses are:
Hybrid tea roses
- Large ornate blooms with 30 to 50 petals.
- Budding of long stems.
- Bloom in every 6 to 7-week cycles.
- Tall, sub-group of hybrid tea roses.
- Bloom in 6 to 7-week cycles.
- Large-clustered flowers that blooms continuously.
- These are shorter version of floribunda.
- Used for edgings and hedges.
- More compact form of hybrid tea or grandiflora roses with height of 15 to 30 inches.
- Tall, these could grow from five ft to 15 ft in all directions.
- Roses having long, arching canes that can be moulded as fences and boundaries.
[ecis2016.org] Lucky plants for the home: Plants that bring money and good luck
Garden roses: Preparation
- The place selected to plant garden roses must get at least six to eight hours of sunlight every day.
- The area must be well-ventilated. Poor air circulation is bad for garden roses.
- The soil must be rich, well-drained and mildly acidic, with pH value ranging between 6.0 and 7.0 for garden roses to grow and bloom. For the uninitiated, pH is a measure of acidity or alkalinity in soil. Most soils have pH values between 3.5 and 10. Correct its pH value with compost when required.
- Different roses have different requirements. Choose native varieties of roses that grow in your region.
- Choose a disease-resistant variety of roses for your garden.
[ecis2016.org] Balcony garden: Design ideas and plants for homes in India
Garden roses: Plantation techniques
For any landscape, garden roses are an integral part. Mix them with other flowers and shrubs to create a unique garden look.
New-age climbers would grow and blossom along with your fence horizontally, changing the look and appearance of your house.
Garden roses in containers
For modern flats and apartment owners, the idea of having garden roses is not far-fetched with newer cultivars that can be easily grown in pots and containers in balconies, patios and decks.
- 10 Curtain colour combination to dress up your cream colour walls
- Diwali budget tips for home decoration: Simple yet creative ways for revamping your home
- Inexpensive ways to create an industrial décor theme for your home
- Yellow colour combination for home: Best paint combinations for walls and décor ideas to brighten your interiors
- All about Mithun Chakraborty’s sprawling Mumbai bungalow
You do not have to go with conventional arrangements to grow garden roses. Vertical gardening is possible, with trellises and climbing roses.
[ecis2016.org] Terrace garden ideas for your home
The climbers of rambling rose category would provide a unique look to your entryway.
The shrub roses would make any pathway look extraordinary.
Also read all about evergreen trees for home garden
Garden roses: A bouquet of colours
This brightly coloured flower exists in a variety of colours. Red roses are an ultimate display of love. Other colours signify feelings such as the bond of friendship, gratitude, joy, peace and beauty.
Garden roses: Maintenance
It is the time you spent on your rose that makes your rose so important, said Antoine De Saint Exupéry.
- The soil should be kept evenly moist throughout the growing season, for rose plants.
- Avoid wetting the foliage. Use a watering spout.
- Pruning must be done in early spring season. Be mindful of the fact that certain varieties of rose plants may not require a lot of pruning.
- If ignored, the rose plant might get infected by powdery mildew, especially in hot conditions. Water-borne diseases can infect the rose plants like black spots on leaves.
- Insects that attack rose buds include aphids, Japanese beetles, spider mites and sawflies. You can get rid of them by using neem oil.
What is the most common garden rose?
The bush rose is the most common garden rose.
What are the various categories of roses?
From an ancestry point of view, roses are categorised into three groups – wild roses, old garden roses and modern garden roses.
Do all rose plants have thorns?
While all varieties of wild roses have thorns, some modern garden roses do not have thorns.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org