[ecis2016.org] Modular PVC kitchen cabinets have been in trend for some time. We discuss the pros and cons of PVC cabinets and why they are popular in Indian households.
Cabinets are a critical element of any modular kitchen (ready-made kitchen) because of their uniform modules or components. They must be well-equipped to manage the storage of everyday kitchen necessities and gadgets. In this context, modular PVC kitchen cabinets have been trendy for quite some time. They are likely to remain so for a long time. They are inexpensive and convenient to maintain, which is a combination that every homeowner desires.
You are reading: Why use PVC kitchen cabinets for modular kitchens?
Understanding PVC kitchen cabinet’s material
You are probably well versed with PVC pipes and plumbing materials. PVC, or polyvinyl chloride, is a mass-produced polymer traditionally used in construction, healthcare, vehicles, and other industries. However, we have just seen a startling new trend: PVC kitchen cabinets. PVC is not only a cost-effective solution for kitchen cabinetry, but it is also easy to clean and maintain.
Let’s learn more about this popular kitchen cabinet material, the many varieties, how PVC compares to other kitchen cabinet materials, and its advantages and disadvantages so you can make an informed decision for your ideal modular kitchen.
PVC cupboard colours for the kitchen
Types of PVC kitchen cabinets
Currently, the market prefers two PVC kitchen cabinets, i.e., hollow boards and foam. The distinction is straightforward: as the name implies, the first is open on the inside, making it lightweight and cost-effective. On the other hand, PVC foam boards are thicker and more durable than hollow boards.
Read also : Home Décor tips inspired by your Zodiac sign
PVC foam board| Source: Pinterest
PVC kitchen cabinet material vs other kitchen cabinet materials
Several options are available when looking for the ideal modular kitchen cabinet material. In this perspective, let us compare PVC to solid wood, aluminium, laminate, metal, and acrylic (one by one).
PVC kitchen cabinets have a simple appearance and are easily replaced. They are also relatively simple to clean. They are, however, susceptible to discolouration after a few years of usage. Take note of the yellowish or fading tinge! You must also exercise extreme caution while picking hinges and fittings because they must be compatible with PVC plastic. Else, they can cause irrevocable distortion or damage. We are sure you don’t want that!
When it comes to sturdiness, the foam board is unquestionably the best option because it can withstand significant weight than the other PVC variants. However, because the cabinets might droop with time and there is no settlement for damages, this is best suited for leased houses and is a short-term investment.
Design and installation
PVC kitchen cabinets material is offered in ready-to-fit boards that do not require finishing. You don’t have to bother about laminates or add-ons to make it look attractive because there are various PVC cupboard colours. Workers may find it easy to work on as they are lightweight. However, with PVC foam boards, detailed finishing is necessary; otherwise, there might be irreparable damage to the cabinet.
PVC kitchen cabinets costing
Read also : Kitchen design for small house
Compared to other widely used modular kitchen cabinet materials, PVC kitchen cabinets are a cost-effective solution. Hollow boards start at Rs 28 per square foot, while foam boards start at Rs 30 per square foot.
PVC kitchens are entering Indian households due to their low cost and durability. Your usage and budget determine whether or not you should go with a PVC kitchen. Let us analyse the pros and cons of the material to understand the material further so that you can make a choice!
Advantages of PVC kitchen cabinets
- PVC kitchen cabinets are non-toxic and have a smooth, high-gloss surface. The high-gloss synthetic material has a mirror-like surface that is long-lasting.
- Because PVC kitchen cabinets are shatter-resistant, they will not readily break or chip.
- Because it is a rigid material, it can survive the wear and tear prevalent in kitchens. PVC is not prone to scratching. It is moisture resistant and can tolerate prolonged exposure to UV rays.
- PVC kitchen cabinets are popular in high-end kitchens.
Disadvantages of PVC kitchen cabinets
- PVC kitchen cabinets are not durable since they can droop if used over an extended period. Many bugs and insects may inhabit hollow boards, making them unsanitary.
- If you try to change the fixture, it may distort.
- PVC kitchen cabinets are prone to damage – utilise plastic-compatible hardware and hinges to reduce deformities.
- You cannot cover the repairs on PVC cupboard colours.
- PVC kitchen cabinets do not come in an extensive range of PVC cupboard colours. They also discolour after a few years.
- It is not fire-resistant.
- Inside Pataudi Palace and Saif Ali Khan’s royal house in Mumbai
- POP plus-minus design to decorate your porch
- Top 20 trends in balcony design for 2022
- An artistic space that celebrates traditional arts and crafts: Designer Shibani Jain’s home
- Almirah designs ideas that provide storage solutions while enhancing your home décor
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org