[ecis2016.org] If you love Bollywood and also the luxurious homes that are portrayed in these movies, read on for some simple tips to transform your home’s décor, Bollywood-style
When it comes to designing a home’s interiors, the décor often reflects the inhabitants’ personalities. Among the many themes that are available, are also Bollywood-based designs. “Bollywood not only inspires fashion, but also home décor,” says Syed Shahnawaz Zaidi, business partner, Bullseye, a multi-disciplinary design firm in Delhi. On screen, the interior architectural design, colours, artefacts, fabric, furniture and material selection, are used to reflect the persona of the individual who lives in that house. “Therefore, the outer element of design, justifies the substance of the storyline,” Zaidi explains.
You are reading: Transform your home’s décor, Bollywood style
Bollywood inspired décor can be done on a limited budget, with some creative and out-of-the-box ideas. Noida-based Manyata Mehra, is an ardent Bollywood fan, who designed her entertainment room on a Bollywood theme. “I have put up framed posters of Shah Rukh Khan’s films on a bright wall. Inspired by my favourite movie, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (DDLJ), I have added cushions with digital prints of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol, and coasters with the film’s memorable dialogue – bade bade deshon mein aisi choti choti batein hoti rehti hai. I have even kept a Swiss bell on the side stool,” Mehra describes.
[ecis2016.org] Add a quirky touch to your home décor
Classy and elegant
“Another example, could be a ‘Dharm Garam’ décor, which could include posters of Dharmendra’s popular movies and dialogues, scattered over a wall along with graffiti,” suggests Zaidi. Bollywood-themed interiors need not always be quirky. It can be classic and elegant too. “Sets of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s films, offer a spectacular window into traditional artisans’ skills. Something as simple as an intricately carved furniture, placed against a plain wall, can add a classic look,” states Anamika Tomar of Anamika Design Co, Mumbai.
Brass and silver pieces, lamps, and candlesticks, with fine detailing, a solid wood table with long embroidered runners, or an old Maharani-Maharaja painting against floral wallpaper, can add a regal and opulent feel to a space. “In a spacious living room that has high ceilings, one can create a Mughal-like décor, with tinted lanterns hung in clusters in a corner. You can also spruce up your home, by picking up some digitally printed cushions that are easily available in stores like Home Town, Good Earth and online stores of Urban Ladder or Fab Furnishings,” offers Tomar.
Plenty of options
“One can practically customise every inch of the home’s interiors, thanks to online portals. However, if you wish to avoid the clutter of regular designs, you can opt for a five-foot-tall thematic wall clock as one giant element to make a visual impact,” adds Zaidi. Even the prayer room can reflect a Bollywood design, similar to Karan Johar’s Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, with gleaming silver puja accessories.
Tips to add a Bollywood touch to your home’s décor
- You can choose your favourite movie or actor/actress and plan the home’s décor, based on it.
- Besides wallpapers, you can opt for thematic wall projections, to completely transform your house.
- Use graffiti, to accentuate the visual composition of the décor.
- Do not attempt to create a décor that is practically impossible to execute (for example, installing a giant chandelier which does not fit properly on the ceiling).
- Coordinate the fabrics with the décor and ensure that the two blend with each other.
- Add interesting furniture pieces that reflect the theme, like a custom painted trunk or a stunning chair.
- Right from Dev Anand’s Guide, to Ram Leela-inspired cushions of Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh, there’s plenty to choose from. However, select carefully and do not go overboard.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org