[ecis2016.org] We guide you about the various types of wallpapers and how to choose the best wallpaper for your walls.
Types of wallpapers
Wallpaper is a non-woven (paper) or woven (fabric) backing, decoratively printed for application to walls of a residence or commercial space. Home wallpapers are made of vinyl, paper, fabric, grass, foil, bamboo and several other materials.
Paper-based wallpaper is a sheet of paper with printed designs. A layer of protection is applied over it to protect the print. It is affordable in comparison to other varieties of wallpaper.
[ecis2016.org] How to put up a 7 horse painting in your house
Paper-backed vinyl is also known as solid sheet vinyl. The wallpaper has a liquid vinyl coating over the print. It is durable, washable and moisture-resistant.
Non-woven wallpaper is vinyl-free and eco-friendly. It is also washable, mould-resistant and ideal for digital printing.
A designed and laminated vinyl film on paper or fabric substrate is called solid vinyl wallpaper. Solid vinyl wallpaper is made with vinyl that can withstand water is durable and resistant to scratching and tearing.
PVC or coated vinyl
PVC-coated wallpaper is moisture-resistant as it has a layer of acrylic sprayed or coated over a paper base. This wallpaper has acrylic vinyl or PVC as the décor material.
Fabric wallpaper, also called textile wallpaper, has fabric as a substrate with a coating of acrylic or liquid vinyl. Fabric wallpapers are breathable, stain-resistant, and provide insulation. Fabrics like silk and linen provide a luxurious appearance to the walls.
House wallpaper design ideas
Wallpapers can elevate a room and the right print can brighten it. Today wallpapers are available in mind-boggling varieties. You can choose designs and colours as per your requirement, whether for an accent wall or all the walls. Wallpapers are available in abstract patterns, graphics, botanical, floral, stripes, geometrical patterns and vintage and metallic patterns.
You can also choose wallpapers that resemble wood, tiles, marble or bricks, a great way to add a feature wall to complement the home décor.
Textured and embossed wallpapers have designs that appear to be slightly raised from the surface. These add a seamless textural feel to the décor and can complement modern furniture and furnishings aesthetically.
3D wallpapers bring a ‘wow’ factor to any space. The wallpaper designs, with detailing, shading, and simulated lighting effects, create dream-like imagery of digital art that brightens interior spaces. Picturesque beaches and green forests appear realistic as the digitally-printed wallpapers have a photorealistic finish.
Wallpaper designs with photos are in vogue. Customise your wallpaper with your favourite photograph(s).
How to choose wallpaper for living room?
Wallpapers do much more than add aesthetic appeal to a living room. When selecting wallpaper for the living room, consider the colour of the painted wall, size of the patterns, texture and furniture design for a cohesive look.
When it comes to living room wallpaper design, ensure that the wallpaper design segregates the dining space or the TV area. For a living room with light-coloured wooden furniture, add bright turquoise, nautical blue, or vibrant green wallpaper.
Geometric shapes and rich colour palettes create a striking combination that never goes out of style. Ensure that the sofa and curtains are either simple or have delicate motifs to complement the intricate patterns of the wallpaper. For a small or low ceiling room, select wallpapers with light shades that make the room appear larger and the ceiling higher.
Create a wallpapered focal wall that sets the tone for the area. From yellowish-orange sunrise scenes to botanical, geometric patterns to paisley prints, wallpaper is a lovely way to enhance the look of the living room. Mimic the look of stone and exposed brick walls with realistic-looking faux wallpaper.
Biophilic designs infuse freshness into a living room. Nature-inspired designs and bold florals pep-up and add a dramatic touch to the living room.
High-shine metallic wallpapers with delicate silver or matt gold print add a glamorous touch. Used sparingly, glitter wallpaper can give the living room a lustrous look.
Make a unique style statement by framing a wallpaper. Choose your favourite city’s iconic building or any pictorial forest for this purpose.
For a living room with an Indian theme add a ‘desi’ touch with an ethnic accent wall. Choose a beautiful wallpaper with the design of flowers, birds, elephants, or butterflies on a patterned backdrop.
[ecis2016.org] Incredible wall decor ideas for your home
Wall paper design for bedroom
The wallpaper design for the bedroom should ideally feature soft colours and subtle prints to make it a relaxing space. Pastel wallpapers are in trend as they lend a soothing and refreshing feel to the bedroom. Large patterns make a small space even smaller. They look best in a larger room.
Botanical and tropical prints are trendy as they have a calming impact and are ideal for the bedroom. Floral wallpaper has always been associated with romantic décor. From roses to peonies, lotus to sunflower, add the soothing feel of nature to the bedroom. Bold floral wallpaper also evokes a vintage appeal of elegance. Rich jewel-toned wallpapers create a sense of timeless elegance and a romantic atmosphere in the bedroom.
A renaissance-inspired wallpaper design is perfect for a soft, dreamy, aesthetic look. Its intrinsic design and illustrations can light up a room’s décor.
Choose a wallpaper that fits the style and colours of the rest of the room and accent your headboard wall with it. Or, instead of a headboard, opt for a gorgeous watercolour wallpaper mural.
Texture design fabric wallpapers give a sophisticated look to the bedroom. If you love metallics, consider bringing a luxurious touch of gold or copper to the bedroom through your wallpaper.
Wallpaper for kids’ rooms
For kids’ rooms opt for non-toxic, washable wallpaper sheets that can be easily wiped. Focus on bright, attractive colours that make the space more engaging and welcoming. Involve the kids in selecting the colour and pattern of the wallpaper. If you have young children, likely to use the wall as their easel, get scrubbable wallpaper.
Wallpaper designs need not be the usual one of flowers or geometrical patterns. Today you get awesome wallpaper designs, ranging from alphabets, jungle safari and superheroes to piles of books, Star Wars and fairies. Covering either the top or bottom half of a wall with wallpaper is a great way to make the room stylish.
Check out these kids room false ceiling design ideas
Wallpaper for furniture
Besides walls, wallpapers can be utilised for ceiling surfaces, in cabinets, on door panels and as framed art to spruce up the home. Try not to discard old furniture. Instead, make it trendy with wallpaper. Wallpaper works well on pieces that have clean lines and fewer curves, such as tabletops, mirror frames, photo frames stools, chests of drawers and the back panel of an open wall unit. Ideally, go for textured wallpaper. The textures in the wallpaper give a dimension to plain furniture and help hide any damage. Instead of adding a backsplash to the home bar, opt for a statement wallpaper. If you have a plain lampshade, give it a glam touch with textured wallpaper. Spruce up an old wooden headboard with patterned wallpaper.
Tips to choose the best wallpaper for walls
- The wallpaper colours and designs should complement the overall décor. You can get wallpapers designed for themes such as rustic, Victorian, modern or glamorous.
- The key is to select the right colours and pattern size. If you have patterned draperies and upholstery, then, select a tone-on-tone pattern or textured wallpaper.
- If you opt for a patterned wallpaper, go with a smaller or larger pattern than the drapery fabric or upholstery pattern.
- Wallpapers tend to fade when exposed to direct sunlight. Therefore, do not use them on walls that face the sun directly or on moisture-prone walls.
- Abstract or diffused patterns give compact spaces an air of roominess. The texture of the wallpaper can help hide the flaws of the walls.
- Patterns with backgrounds such as green, blue, or violet can make a space appear bigger. Colours such as red, yellow and orange are best suited for kids’ rooms. Pastel shades are beautiful and eye-soothing and apt for the living room and bedroom.
- Vertical stripes or designs make the ceiling appear longer and horizontal stripes make spaces appear wider, making them apt for small rooms.
- A tiny print or wallpaper with minute patterns or geometric design suits smaller spaces. Metallic designs are for those looking to make a scintillating statement with an accent wall.
- Wallpaper murals are ideal for the living room. Ensure that there are no windows in the middle of the mural that cut out a portion of the pattern.
- Embossed designs appear to be slightly raised from the surface. These add a textural feel to the décor while complementing the other elements like furniture and furnishings.
Room wallpaper price and brands in India
The wallpaper price depends on the material and finish. It is measured per roll or sq ft. A few of the wallpaper brands available in India include Marshals, D’Décor, Nilaya (Asian Paints), India Circus, Life n Colours, Paper Plane, 100 Yellow, Sarita Handa Elemento. International brands from the US and Europe include Jean Paul Gaultier, Armani, Casa, Versace Home and the French luxury designer, Pierre Frey.
Paper and printed vinyl wallpaper sheets tend to be cheaper. Non-woven and non-woven fabric wallpapers are in the mid-to-high-end range. Designer collections and premium ranges by Indian and international brands cost more than basic wallpaper. Customised wallpapers are expensive compared to ready-made ones sold in the market.
Wallpaper sheets are priced per roll and the prices vary based on the brand, material of the wallpaper (vinyl-backed, fabric, etc) and design. It starts at Rs 1,000 per roll (approximately) and can go up to Rs 20,000 per roll (approximately).
The size of the standard wallpaper roll is 32.97 ft x 1.73 ft.
A standard wallpaper covers an area of approximately 55 to 57 sq. ft.
Wallpaper installation costs Rs 8 to Rs 15 per sq ft (approximately).
[ecis2016.org] Wallpaper vs paint cost India
New wallpaper trends in 2022
- Panelled wallpaper has risen in popularity. Framing a wallpaper transforms it from a pattern into a work of art.
- Various shades of green bring in the biophilic trend of wellness. Also, a desire to create a warm, comforting retreat at home brings botanical prints in demand. Murals of beautiful landscape, scenes and architectural gardens will reign in 2022.
- The floral room decor can be adapted to suit any style – vintage, retro or contemporary. It remains the favourite choice for most home owners.
- Earlier animal and bird print wallpapers were seen only in children’s rooms but gorgeous adult versions of leopard, tiger and deer are also popular.
- Eco-friendly wallpapers are in demand. Printed grasscloth, jute, linen and other textured papers can elevate the look of any room. Damask wallpaper will remain in trend. Its structured pattern and intricate floral motifs can infuse any space with elegance.
- Equally popular are geometric wallpapers. Whether bold, graphic and modern or subtle and muted, geometric wallpaper never goes out of style.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of wallpaper?
Wallpaper offers amazing designs and patterns to dress up the walls, it is durable and many varieties are scrubbable. Wallpapers can cover the walls within a couple of hours. Unlike painting, the house does not smell or get covered in dust. However, since the wallpaper is applied with an adhesive, high moisture bathrooms and kitchens may cause wallpaper to peel away from the wall.
How long do wallpapers last?
Good quality wallpapers can last as long as 15 years if mounted properly and there is no moisture on the wall.
How to maintain wallpapers at home?
While selecting a wall to apply wallpaper, ensure that it is not moisture-prone. Install them on walls that are less exposed to sunlight. Wallpapers can be cleaned using dry or wet methods (depending on their material) such as vacuuming, dusting or with a damp sponge. When vacuuming, use a soft brush to avoid damaging the texture.
Copyright belongs to: ecis2016.org